Cheeky Quotes

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Reality Check

I have been completely overrun by stress for the past few weeks.  Between school, work, research papers due, finals happening, marketing development, and more, I have had way too much to do with too little time to do it.  I have a confession to make too....I picked up the cigarettes again the day before yesterday.  I'm not really used to all of the business of "normalcy".  What I mean by that is before, when I was on all the medications for a diagnosis I do not have, my life was one big blur.  There are whole sections of my life that I honestly don't remember because of it.  My "normalcy" then was running around, taking off to God knows where, quitting everything I started, acting like a lunatic, and fill in the blanks.  Now that I'm on the ADD medicine and can actually focus on stuff and be an adult, my mind is kind of going through the "WHAT THE HECK IS ALL OF THIS STUFF!?" mode.  Yesterday I thought all of this was a big deal....today, I realize how incredibly inane it all is.
 
December 14, 2012
Tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School
Newtown, Connecticut
 
Earlier today I was sitting in my car in a McDonald's parking lot.  I saw a worker lowering the flag to half mast and immediately picked up my phone to bring up the news to find out what was going on.  At that time a lot of it was the erroneous rumors, but finally it was confirmed that 26 people had been shot and killed at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut; the majority of them children.
 
How can you even begin to wrap your mind around something like this?  It's impossible to even type this without crying.  The poor children and adults who died...the poor children and adults who survived...the poor families...  It is too much to take in.
 
In 2012 alone, there have been the following public mass shootings:
 
February 27th - Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio
March 7th - Tulsa County Courthouse in Tulsa, Oklahoma
March 8th - Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
April 2nd - Oikos University in Oakland, California
May 30th - Cafe Racer in Seattle, Washington
July 17th - a crowded bar in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
July 20th - a crowded movie theater in Aurora, Colorado
August 5th - Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in Oak Creek, Wisconsin
October 21st - a Spa in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
November 6th - a chicken processing plant in Fresno, California
December 11th - Clackamas Town Center Mall in Clackamas, Oregon
December 14th - Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut
 
All of this tragedy is in addition to the countless singular shootings throughout our country not to mention the ongoing wars and losses of life and other massacres in other countries.  We have physical, verbal, mental, emotional, and sexual abuse happening every second of every day.  We have people that choose to get intoxicated and then get into their vehicles and DRIVE every single day.  We have people who abuse and kill innocent animals or train them to fight and kill each other.  We have human trafficking and little girls being sold into sexual slavery.  We have people living on the streets and being kicked, beaten, ridiculed, and even one who had his face eaten off by an idiot who chose to take synthetic drugs.  When is it enough?  When are we all going to say, "NO MORE!" and do the right things?  When are we going to reach out to the very hurt, broken, and hurting world???  I don't know about all of you, but I will continue reaching out just as I have always done so.  This is a time and world where we all need to come together and offer LOVE instead of so much hate, anger, and insanity.
 
I cannot imagine what the families of not just today's shooting, but ALL of the shootings' victims are going through.  I am lifting up my thoughts and prayers for all of them...and for every single person in this world.  We have to make it stop.

1 comment:

Share your thoughts, questions, comments -- whatever you think about this post!!